Sears Craftsman Garage Door Opener

paul177October 25, 2008

Have a problem with my craftsman 1/2 GDO. Opens just fine, but when I close it, it moves a little and then quickly returns to the up position, then the light blinks five times. I can close the garage door by holding down the button. Not the remote. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

If the door reverses and the main light flickers 10 times it is a door sensor problem. Nothing else will cause this symptom. Make sure the sensors have not been bumped and are pointed at each other.

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 4:24PM
paul177

Sensor lights are a steady green and don't flicker. I watched them a couple of times as I pushed the button to close the garage door. No change in the steady green lights, but the door still reverses before it gets to the fully closed position. I also tried it numerous times with the door disconnected from the mechanism, just to see if the opener would travel the full length, but it reversed too. Does this mean the sensors are shot and i need a new opener?

Bookmark   October 27, 2008 at 4:11PM
don_1_2006

Sometimes the light on the receiving sensor is flickering so slightly that you can hardly see it. Tweak the sensors just a bit and try. If that doesn't do it you must have a bad sensor.

Bookmark   October 27, 2008 at 6:40PM
mainah1945

Paul77, don't unhook the safety gear and use the door. Especially when there are children around. That door is heavy enough to inflict some serious damage if it closes on someone. Have a Tech check it out . It's worth the money.

Bookmark   October 28, 2008 at 9:33PM
More Discussions
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Shop vacuum
Are there any good 12 -15 amp shop vacs that have 1200-1500...
randalls1
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™