Direction to lay wood floor

hags00May 16, 2012

Purchasing a long skinny 1900 sq ft ranch with no flooring. I hope you can picture it from this description but starting from one end is the three bedrooms, the baths and the hall, next comes the front entry with the laundry room behind that and the living room behind that at the rear of the house.

Next comes the kitchen at the front of the house and the dining room behind it at the rear of the house.

Finally the 2 car garage on the front of the house and a family room behind that on the rear of the house.

I am planning to put engineered hardwood everywhere but the kitchen. The living room, dining room family room all run together on the back of the house, there is very little distinction between rooms and it is 42' long total.

Any thoughts on which way to run the hardwood, the long way from side to side in the house or the shorter way from back to front?

I don't think it really matters back in the bedroom area but the two areas I am concerned about are the front entry way and the long 42' rooms. I am the installer and it seems for ease of installation it might be easier to run front to back in the house (all shorter runs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregmills_gw

Standard procedure dictates you lay the floor going across the joists not with them. Given that statement. You would want to run it the long way. Given your joists are running that way. In only rare exceptions do i ever lay wood running with the joists. The long length you are facing can feel overwhelming but it might have to be done.

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 10:16PM
hags00

House is on a slab, any thoughts on what might be more asthetically pleasing?

Using engineered wood and going to float it.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 5:29PM
glennsfc

Without seeing the space or a floorplan...hard to say.

"what might be more asthetically pleasing?"...only you can decide that. Lay out some of the flooring each way and the way you want to run the flooring could become obvious.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 6:05PM
gregmills_gw

Slabs different story. Since you can go either way i would personall go the shorter distance in width. Just my opinion.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 1:12AM
hags00

Thanks that is what I was thinking too.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 6:13AM
brickeyee

You can run with the joists if the sub-floor is better than minimum.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
LVT or Tile
I am trying to decide what to replace my carpet in...
hlariscy
Filler in travertine marble tiles is coming out causing pitting
We put travertine marble throughout our house. We were...
caribbeancupcake
Color/species of new wood floor next to original VG Fir?
Our 1918 house was added on to in the 80's and rather...
fjernsyn
DIY Stained Concrete
We are planning on doing the stained concrete ourselves...
DogwoodAcres
Handscraped hardwood -- will it become dated?
So we are in the process of building a new home. We...
carsonheim
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™