Very Odd Garage Door Problem

kjbockOctober 11, 2007

For the last few months I've been having intermittant garage door opening problems. On some days when opening or closing, the door will just freeze and stop moving, sometimes near the top, bottom or mid-way. The opener light will start flashing and it will take several attempts at opening and closing for it to finally stop freezing at some point. Then the problem will go away for several days and suddenly come back again. I haven't tried checking the door balance, but the alignment sensors appear to be working fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

If the main lights flash when the door is closing and the door reverses to the open position it is a sensor problem. Check the sensors very closely for the slightest flicker. Tweak them just a bit. This is almost always the reason for an intermittent problem. This is also a problem that can occur only when the door is closing. If the door stops on the way up increase the 'up force'. You will find this control on the rear of the opener. Do not increase the 'down force'.

Bookmark   October 11, 2007 at 4:46PM
kjbock

Thanks for the follow-up Don. For more information, the main lights don't always flash when the door stops. It never reverses course when it freezes. It just stops and doesn't go any further.

If I increase the 'up force', what would be the cause for the door to freeze when closing? Could all of this be occurring due to the door springs being out of balance?

Bookmark   October 15, 2007 at 12:59PM
don_1_2006

I think you hit the nail. It sure sounds like your door is out of balance or has hardware problems.

Bookmark   October 15, 2007 at 4:54PM
More Discussions
New construction.. Trying to decide on what flooring for garage..
Ok.. So we are building a brand new house and one of...
Jason143NBPD
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™