Garage door problems ... please help
Before posting, I went through several posts, used the search feature, but could not find a solution to my problem. Here goes ...
1. I had problems with my previous opener (Craftsman 0.5HP, chain drive ~ 7 years old). The problem started out with the GDO opening the garage door, but not closing it (will reverse back). Finally the unit quit responding.
2. Bought new Chamberlain 0.75HP belt drive. Installed the new unit and the sensors that came with it. Aligned the sensors (both Green and Amber are steady - NO blinking). Went through the travel adjustments fine. Tried the force adjustment, but I am having problems.
3. For no reason, the GDO would start reversing, (sometimes quarter way down, sometimes half way down) back to open. The only way to close it is to hold the button down on the wall unit. I can hear the garage door struggling to go down, but it does eventually. Whenever, it reverses, the light blinks 10 times. I know this indicates a sensor issue, but the sensors are (or appear to be) fine - they are both on and are not blinking.
4. I can lift the garage door by hand mid way (after unlocking the trolley) or waist high. The door stays there (does not move down or up), till I push it up or down. This was one of the checks mentioned in the Chamberlain manual (to do before installing the GDO).
5. The garage door is steel sectional, with a single torsion spring. I have not lubed the tracks/rollers/spring in the last 2.5 years. I put some motor oil on the spring (bad idea? found this on another website). I am planning to clean out the tracks (accumulated grease or what looks like grease) and rollers and apply recommended lubricant (from home depot). Anything else I should be trying? Or any other troubleshooting tips?
The door is about 8 years old. It appears that is the average life of the torsion spring. Should I have the spring replaced anyway?
Your feedback is most appreciated. Many thanks,