Any opinion on Hickory vs Merchandise Mart in Chicago

maisoui1September 25, 2011

We just moved to a small town where there are no high end furniture stores. The closest quasi decent furniture store is maybe an hour away. I am debating between going to Hickory (at least to look to see a variety of items) versus going to the Mechandise Mart in Chicago. Either way I would have to go overnight but Chicago is 2-3 hrs drive so I wouldn't have the airfare. With the mart, apparently you have to have a designer to go through. Supposedly they are 100-200/hr, from what I hear. With Hickory, there are many manufacturers but I really want quality and high design and don't want to be going through a sea of furniture that is just average design etc. I guess my goal really is to see a variety of products and hopefully I'll see things that catch my eye and then I can decide what I want to buy. I just don't want to waste my time or the time of the sales people. I really want to do my own looking. I usually know what I like when I see it. It's just I have trouble finding it.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
InteriorStylist

I think you should go to the Merchandise Mart. Communicate with the designer what you are looking for, & he/she can narrow it down for you very quickly if you communicate your needs & wants well. Allow him/her to guide you to what he/she thinks would be good choices, then tell him/her that you now want to explore on your own. Then you can go back to the designer with any questions.

I really believe that this is where you need to be & will be worth your investment of time & money.

~Jeana

Bookmark   October 1, 2011 at 2:24PM
More Discussions
Upholstery Fabric Durability
I am about to purchase a Lee Industries couch and two...
3kidsonedogandus
Kitchen Table Repair
Hi. My kitchen table has a crack in it and I was wondering...
marc83
Does Vanguard Furniture make a quality sectional
Hello. I am agonizing over finding the right sectional...
maggiewp
the Sealy Posturepedic 'Belmont' from Costco?
Hello-- Has anyone out there purchased the Sealy Posturepedic...
lenvt
Flexsteel vs. Lane vs. Natuzzi leather sectionals
I'm pretty confused and hoping for some solid comparisons...
tuckerlr
Sponsored Products
Le Corbusier LC1 Inspired Chair
IFN Modern
Soho Tan Rectangular: 5 ft. x 8 ft. Rug
$240.95 | Bellacor
Beige Ironwork Brayden Rug
$19.99 | zulily
White Silk Shade with Blue Sash 3x5x4.25 (Clip-On)
$39.91 | Lamps Plus
Twin Exposed Thermostatic Shower Valve & Rigid Riser Kit & Round Head
Hudson Reed
Halo Outdoor Side Table, Patio Furniture
$882.00 | FRONTGATE
Hand-tied Pelle Off-white Leather Shag Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Designers Fountain 96905 Montego 5 Light Bath Bar in oil-rubbed bronze finish -
$120.20 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™