Unique garage door problem-ideas please!

floodplainwoesSeptember 4, 2009

I live in beautiful Montana where we built a house in 1980. A few years later, the area where we built the house was designated a flood plain. We just acquired a permit to build a garage onto our house, but one of the stipulations was that we could not put a garage door on. We now have a very nice garage that is open to the elements and critters. We have been trying to come up with ideas to secure the garage. We've thought about a chain-link type of door, but our local garage door companies don't know about any such thing. We've thought about scissor gates. These wouldn't keep the elements out, but would protect our valuables from the 2 legged critters. We've been told absolutely no garage door and this will be inspected. Any ideas? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

I have to ask why you can't have a garage door? Is it somehow related to the flood plain or is this some kind of aesthetic concern?

Certainly there are "open" or security gate type options although I suspect they will be considerably more expensive than a traditional steel garage door. I had a friend who had a security door for is shop and there are those roll-down or sliding security gates frequently used in stores. I'd look for an ornamental iron work company or commercial overhead door company.

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 10:33AM
floodplainwoes

It is definately related to the flood plain. The planner let us build the garage in the lee of the house (east side), so it wouldn't affect the flow of water in case of flood. The opening is at the far east end. It doesn't make sense to me, but...I found the sliding gates, but with our snow here, it wouldn't be good. We would have to shovel snow out of the way before sliding and we get a lot of drifting. I have two of the local garage door places checking to see what is available, but they don't seem very excited about it. I suspect we will have to use a pair of scissor gates. Thanks for the input.

Bookmark   September 5, 2009 at 5:50PM
jill_h

do you have a shopping mall near you? what about the doors the individual shops use when the stores close but the mall remains open. They are metal, roll up like a garage door, but the lattice-work (out of lack of anything else to call it) openings are not very large.

Bookmark   October 6, 2009 at 4:37PM
More Discussions
Wayne Dalton i-Drive vs. Belt Drive vs. Screw Drive
Hello All, I am looking to install 2 new garage door...
rogeroh
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Sponsored Products
Rubber-Cal 'My English Garden' Rubber Coir Decorative Mat
Overstock.com
AICO Furniture - Windsor Court Dresser and Mirror Set in Vintage...
Great Furniture Deal
Charcoal Brittany Leaf Aqua Shield Doormat
$44.99 | zulily
Bea Wooden Curio Cabinet
Overstock.com
Beaumont Iron Doorbell
Signature Hardware
Foremost Cabinets Haven 30 in. Vanity Cabinet Only in White TRWA3022
Home Depot
Small Cedar Storage Rack
Fifthroom.com
Sun Door Knocker