coverting rec room back to garage

patches123September 11, 2008

So I am thinking of buying this house, which the owners converted the garage to a rec room. I will want to convert it back. The window, trim etc, is put over the existing brick. (the brick was not removed during conversion). The owners built a subfloor inside to bring it to finished floor height. I am not sure what they did with the garage headers as its got drywall for the ceiling.

What kind of cost am I looking at? I am in the Nashville TN area. I figure the door, for a Lowes basic one is $300. Garage door opener, $250. Do the rails come with the door or are those seperate?

I am good at demo, so feel confident I can get the window and wall portion out as well as the subfloor. What am I looking at for the garage door and opener installation?

Here is a link that might be useful: pic

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierragaragedoor1971

Well, I think your figures on the door are a bit off. A new 2-car wide garage door is going to run $600-800 installed (deduct aprox $200 for do-it-yourself price). And yes, a new door should come with the track, the rollers, springs, etc.

I would recommend you have a contractor give you an estimate on removing the conversion before you make an offer on the house. Some contractors may offer you a free estimate, but if it costs you a couple hundred bucks to find out that the project may put you out several thousand, it's worth the investment IMO.

Bookmark   September 12, 2008 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
Sun shines on sensor....
...and garage door will not stay down! Anyone have...
phoggie
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™