coverting rec room back to garage

patches123September 11, 2008

So I am thinking of buying this house, which the owners converted the garage to a rec room. I will want to convert it back. The window, trim etc, is put over the existing brick. (the brick was not removed during conversion). The owners built a subfloor inside to bring it to finished floor height. I am not sure what they did with the garage headers as its got drywall for the ceiling.

What kind of cost am I looking at? I am in the Nashville TN area. I figure the door, for a Lowes basic one is $300. Garage door opener, $250. Do the rails come with the door or are those seperate?

I am good at demo, so feel confident I can get the window and wall portion out as well as the subfloor. What am I looking at for the garage door and opener installation?

Here is a link that might be useful: pic

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierragaragedoor1971

Well, I think your figures on the door are a bit off. A new 2-car wide garage door is going to run $600-800 installed (deduct aprox $200 for do-it-yourself price). And yes, a new door should come with the track, the rollers, springs, etc.

I would recommend you have a contractor give you an estimate on removing the conversion before you make an offer on the house. Some contractors may offer you a free estimate, but if it costs you a couple hundred bucks to find out that the project may put you out several thousand, it's worth the investment IMO.

Bookmark   September 12, 2008 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
Relocate Carriage House on new foundation?
Hi there. My 1985 Victorian home here in Maine also...
dplayers1
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™