Finished Garage?

rivkadrSeptember 5, 2006

How many of you have a finished garage (i.e. drywall, paint, good electrical)? My husband and I are debating whether or not to do anything with our current garage. The house itself is over 50 years old -- the garage is dark, gloomy, and full of spiders. It's a place I avoid if I can help it :) We're planning on staying in this house for several years, so I'd personally like to have a garage that I didn't hate.

We're thinking of putting in insulation (we may eventually put our exercise equipment in the garage, if we have kids, since they'll get what is now the exercise room), drywall, painting, and putting lots of storage cabinets along the back wall and sides. In addition, my husband would love to have a nice workbench for all his tools (currently, there's a rickety splintery old table out there). We'd probably have to get a new garage door as well, since the current one is sort of jerryrigged into place, and we'd like to get rid of as much of the "jerryrigging" by the previous owner as possible (don't get us started on the electrical work he did; exposed wires are fun!)

Have any of you taken on a project of this scope? Are you glad you did it? Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poobaloo

Ours is insulated, drywalled, and trimmed at the door jambs. It looks nice. Extensive electrical.

We do lots of work in the garage tho, projects, hobbies, woodworking, construction.

We did it at our old house, and have since had opportunity to talk to the new owners. They're not home-improvers but they rave about it and how they can plug something in anywhere and they love the storage.

It's a great starter project, since if you screw anything up, you often can resort to "that's okay, it's just the garage" and learn how to do stuff well for when you do your kitchen or bath someday.

-mike

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 6:27PM
More Discussions
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
New construction.. Trying to decide on what flooring for garage..
Ok.. So we are building a brand new house and one of...
Jason143NBPD
Allister GDO not closing with remote
Having a problem with my Allister Access 3500 GDO not...
irishh7
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™