Another Craftsman GDO Problem - Is it dead?

jds145September 14, 2007

Hello. I have a 1/2 hp Craftsman Garage Door Opener Model Number 139.53675SRT2, installed in Jan. 1999. The GDO has stopped functioning. The door is in the closed position. When I try to open the door, either from a remote control or from a keypad, nothing happens. The 2 lights turn on (I infer this means there is power supplied to the motor), but there is nothing from the motor itself - no noise, no operation, no nothing. There is a small indicator light next to the "learn" button. That indicator light blinks repeatedly 5 times, and then stops, and then repeats the blinking. The door can be opened manually when I use the emergency release function, but the door opener will not operate even after manually opening the door.

I have searched other posts in this forum, and I have found others with similar problems. The suggested fix in many instances is to check whether the trolley is jammed by a stop bolt. However, that suggested fix seems to be inapplicable where, as here, the door is closed, not open. I cannot find any such bolt in any event anywhere near the trolley, so it is possible (perhaps likely) I'm missing something important here.

I appreciate any and all help. Many thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

That small LED blinking 5 times is the code for RPM sensor or motor overload as you may know. I would first take the cover off and look at the limit switch assembly. You can get a pretty good idea how this works just by studying it. I would almost suspect someone has mis-adjusted it but I could be wrong. Could be a bad motor also.

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 6:21PM
jds145

Thanks, Don. I'm not qualified to start doing internal stuff on the GDO. Is there somewhere I can find the equivalent of "Garage Door Openers for Dummies" to get enough basic knowledge to try what you suggest? Again, many thanks.

Bookmark   September 14, 2007 at 8:37PM
doorguy06

The limit swithches are not hard to miss take off the cover and stand directly under the opener and look up you will see them. If you are standing under the opener facing towards the garage door you will see two white knobs sticking out the left side. That is your limit switch assembly. I don't know of any garage door openers for dummies manuals, if so I would have read it by now.

Another option is to take the chain off the sprocket and hit the opener button and see if you have the same problem. By taking the chain off the sprocket you eliminate the trolley assembly.

Bookmark   September 15, 2007 at 9:35PM
More Discussions
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™