Covered outdoor area for pool table

pdabillSeptember 29, 2006

I have a small home in south florida. I have always wanted a pool table but have no room for it in my house. I have an idea to build a covered area in my backyard for an outdoor pool table. I think it would need to be about 16' x 10'. I am envisioning a concrete (or another flooring material?) with posts anchored in each corner. A covering of some type would be supported by the posts.

I have a few questions about this idea:

1) Is this something that an amateur like myself could handle? I would like to do it on my own. I am not an experienced carpenter, but handy with tools. I have built my own bar and taken on a few projects around the house.

2) Are there plans available anywhere for a project like this?

3) Do you think I would need a poured concrete base? If so, is this something that I would need to hire someone for, or is there an option for the flooring that I could do myself?

Thanks for any feedback. It will be useful as I decide whether or not to take on this project.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

Essentially you're building a roof over a patio. Pouring a 16x10' patio isn't a DIY job unless you have lots of experience working with concrete. You'll also need footings for the posts that support the roof.

The other option is to build some kind of deck. You'd still need to pour footings.

What happens when it rains?

Mike

Bookmark   October 2, 2006 at 7:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
clg7067

You could use some strategically placed Shade Sails. You can set the posts far enough away from the table so that they don't interfere with playing pool. Also, those outdoor pool tables look like they can handle Florida weather.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade Sails

Bookmark   October 11, 2006 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Sun shines on sensor....
...and garage door will not stay down! Anyone have...
phoggie
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™