Craftsman 1/2 HP Garage Door Opener problem

piazza1September 12, 2006

I was looking for a forum like this as I am having a problem with my Craftsman 1/2 HP GDO (Model 139.53525SRT). Any suggestions/advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

My garage door opener is acting crazy!. The remotes and the wired keypad in the garage both light up and are programmed correctly. The problem does not seem to be with the activation. When either is activated, nothing happens.

However, I can go in the garage and take a broom and hit the unit and then the unit lights go on. This only happens after I first try to activate the door with a remote. Next, I try to activate the unit again with a remote and voila the garage starts to go up! However, it will only go up about 2 feet and then either stop or go down. After hitting the button a few times more times I can get it all the way up after stopping and starting a few more times. Do I need to buy a new opener? Or is there some simple adjustments? Hitting the motor unit with a broom is getting old. Especially when I come home and have to enter my home first!

Thanks, Tony

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Don_

I would unplug the opener, remove the cover and check all connections especially the connection to the logic board. It is a quick disconnect that may not have been installed correctly. While you are at it I would check the logic board for burnt or broken traces. I won't even ask how you discovered the broom trick.

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 3:05PM
More Discussions
Allister GDO not closing with remote
Having a problem with my Allister Access 3500 GDO not...
irishh7
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™