Craftsman Garage Door Opener Problem

kapasSeptember 19, 2006

I have two Craftsman garage door openers (About 20 years old - doesn't have any safety devices)- one for each garage door. They have been working fine until recently. But now one of the garage door opener doesn't open or close from the button on the wall or the remote or from the "remote link" in the car. It opens and closes randomly on its own! Only consistent way it goes from close to open or open to close is when I power cycle the unit.

This gets more confusing as the other door opener works ok with the button on the wall but the remote for it behaves "strangely" - sometimes it operates that door and sometimes it operates the other one! No DIP switch settings have changed. I'll appreciate if anyone can help me understand this problem and offer a solution. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Don_

I think it's time to upgrade to state of the art openers. The problems you describe are not run of the mill and it's anyones guess. If they are in fact 20 years old they have lasted twice the normal life expectancy of an opener. I wouldn't put money into either one.

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 12:55PM
kapas

Don:

Thanks. That was the first thought came to my mind too, but still am curious about what could have caused this problem. Any ideas??

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 1:09PM
Don_

Your problems are so weird I cannot even guess. There is absolutely nothing I can point to. Sorry.

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 2:54PM
blkcobra007

I am able to open my garage with the primary controller along with the remote devices, however the only way the garage will close is if i go to the main controller and keep the button pressed until the door is completely closed. Are there any ideas as to wht the problem may be and what I may be able to do to get my openers (primary and remotes to work as designed).

R/

blkcobra007
William Brown

Bookmark   October 1, 2006 at 12:50PM
Don_

One of the sensors in the doorway has probably been bumped or has quit working. Try tweaking them until the small light on each of them comes on and is not blinking.

Bookmark   October 2, 2006 at 1:35PM
gw:jannie-2006

This question is for Don. I have a problem with my garage door opener. Craftsman 41a4315-7d. When I try to close the door from the wall unit, the main light will flash 10 times and the green led light will flash once or twice. The only way that I can close the door is to hold the button until it closes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bookmark   October 7, 2006 at 7:58PM
Don_

Your problem was handles on the Home Repairs forum.

Bookmark   October 9, 2006 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
esjbee
Craftsman Garage Opener Clicks only and LED blinking 5 times
My 1/2 HP Model 139.53641SRT opener clicks to all my...
nosleep
Wayne Dalton i-Drive vs. Belt Drive vs. Screw Drive
Hello All, I am looking to install 2 new garage door...
rogeroh
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
Sponsored Products
Victorian Rococo Crystal Lever Set - Privacy, Passage and Dummy
Signature Hardware
Solid Brass Fleur de Lis Wedge Doorstop
Signature Hardware
Catskill Designer Island with Flat Panel Doors - 53017
$286.93 | Hayneedle
Arm's Length Metal Chair in Gray
$114.99 | Dot & Bo
Unguarded Welcome Doormat
| Dot & Bo