Craftsman Garage Door Opener Not Closing

mwilkinsonSeptember 6, 2008

I have a Craftsman garage door opener Model# 139.53677SRT3 that is not closing all the time. It will open all the time but after it has been in the open position for a while it will only travel down about 12" and then reverse and come back up. The sensors are aligned properly and there is no obstruction. The lights remain green during operation. The gears are functioning correctly with nothing interferring with their operation. I have adjusted the down limit adjustment and that is not the problem. There is no problem I see when looking at the door and the track. Any ideas as to why the door does not close all the time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

You say you adjusted the down limit. You need to try adjusting the down force which is on the rear of the unit near where all those white wires go. Increase this just a bit and try. Now would be a good time to lubricate the track and door rollers and hinges.Don't grease the track. Let me know if this works.

Bookmark   September 6, 2008 at 2:26PM
mwilkinson

I adjusted the down force and lubricated all moving parts as you suggested. The problem still persists. I disconnected the door from the chain drive and just ran the motor. Even with the door not connected the chain only travels about 12" and then reverses. It's as if the motor is "confused" on how far the chain needs to travel.

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 1:22PM
don_1_2006

It is a sensor problem if the main light is flashing 10 times when the door reverses. If this isn't happening there is a small circuit board with an infra-red detector that causes the door to reverse if it hits an object. If this board goes bad or something blocks the infra-red it will cause this problem. This board is located near the front shaft of the motor and there is a black plastic interruptor cup on the end of that shaft. Make sure the cup is pressed all the way on the shaft and try. The board should not be very expensive and is available at any good door repair company.

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 6:11PM
More Discussions
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Easy to use Backpack Blower Storage
I have been keeping my backpack blower on the floor...
blakeas
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™