Need help wiring a capacitor on an electirc motor

carguy00500September 24, 2006

I recently bought an automotive vehicle lift from an auto repair shop. After assembling the huge lift in my garage, I started to do the easy part, and wire the 220 motor in.

Evidently sometime between someone else dissembling and me reassembling the lift, the capacitor fell off the electric motor. When it fell of, it took the black wire that ran through the inside of the motor to the switch assembly with it. And there was no second wire terminal anywhere to be found. I know the capacitor has 2 wires on it, but I donÂt have a clue where they go.

I am relatively confident that one of the wires ran to a power source in the switch box (based on a perfectly matched wire twisting), but the other lead attached to the capacitor has a nice shiny female wire terminal and I find no visible male place to plug it in. I am sure the motor is like a standard 220 motor like you would find on a heavy-duty compressor. I would really hate to buy a new motor simply because the capacitor fell off the motor. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pjb999

You know, taking the motor assuming it's loose, to a motor rewind place may be your best option, in around ten seconds they should be able to tell you.

If there's a recognisable brand on the motor, maybe there's a website with wiring diagrams on it?

As for the second terminal, I suspect there's a place on the motor itself for that terminal to push onto, or the cover over the cap itself - was there a cover over it? I don't know much about motor caps but the other terminal may be to ground.

Whatever you do, don't guess wildly or you WILL be buying a new motor, or worse.

I'm just jealous of someone who has their own personal hoist in their workshop :P

Bookmark   September 26, 2006 at 2:59PM
More Discussions
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Sponsored Products
Gro-Anywhere Portable Blackout Blind
$34.99 | zulily
Tiffany Lamp: 2-Light 24 in. Table Lamp Bronze Finish Amber CLI-LS-3212
Home Depot
Leucos | The Great JJ Outdoor Floor Lamp
YLighting
Fold Crystal Pendant
Lightology
American Outdoor Grill Infra-Red Burner - IRB-18
$287.10 | Hayneedle