Craftsman Chamberlain 1993 opener

perfesserSeptember 9, 2009

After a lightning strike it stopped working. Dead electric eyes, so I replaced them. Now both sender and receiver lights on, but opener still wouldn't work - completely dead from both wall and remote. Not even a relay click, but still 5 flash error message. Replaced logic board. Now there is a relay click followed immediately by a loud click from motor and 5 flash message, but nothing else. Tested motor from a separate power supply and it worked fine, both up and down.

Current status: door fully up (limit switch contacting up limit.) Chain is off. When I activate, the motor starts to run in the up direction (!) and immediately cuts out, followed by the same old 5 flash error message.

My conjecture now is that there is a partial short in the up winding. Logic board senses the motor is drawing too much current (can it do that?) and, thinking the door has hit an obstruction, it reverses the motor. Since the door is already fully up, it cuts out. Sound reasonable? Should I now replace the motor?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

The 5 flash error code is "RPM sensor or motor overload." If the motor starts down and reverses rather than up as you stated it could be the RPM sensor which is a small printed circuit board just in front of the motor. I don't think you will be replacing the motor once you know the price but you say the motor is starting to run so I don't think it is the motor anyway. I would also pull the logic board and check for burnt or missing traces on the printed circuit. Lightning will do this sometimes.

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 9:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
perfesser

I already replaced the logic board so I doubt that is the problem. At this point the only thing that hasn't been replaced is: (1)motor-capacitor (works on independent ps)
(2) limit switch (looks ok, and is purely mechanical so
I don't think anything that isn't obvious could go wrong with it) and (3) RPM sensor.
I'll try replacing the RPM sensor as you suggested - it's a lot cheaper than replacing the motor.

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 11:43AM
More Discussions
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Wayne Dalton i-Drive vs. Belt Drive vs. Screw Drive
Hello All, I am looking to install 2 new garage door...
rogeroh
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Sponsored Products
Casdon Kids Play Mini Market Till - 574
$21.49 | Hayneedle
Wine Cabinet
Cost Plus World Market
36" Modern Console Vanity for Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Free Love Wall Art
$24.99 | zulily
Two Standard 200TC Satin-Stitched Pillowcases - WHITE/CHARTREUSE (STANDARD)
$61.00 | Horchow
Ambiance Hammered Brass Small Prairie Window Outdoor Wall Sconce
$318.00 | Bellacor
Quoizel Burton Tiffany Style Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Hand Painted Wheat Accent Console Table
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™