Garage door won't close with remote for 2 minutes

redglareAugust 1, 2010

Please excuse yet another garage door question. I have read through the forums, but my problem is slightly different. Using the remote I can open the overhead garage door, but cannot close it with the remote for a couple of minutes. The wall switch will work, but to use the remote I have to wait a couple of minutes.

The unit has been in for 10 years. The sensors are clean, adjusted and are solid green. The opener makes no noises at all. All I have to do is wait two minutes then the remote works again.

The symptoms happen regardless of night or day, cool or warm outside.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creek_side

Have your changed the battery in the remote?

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 12:29AM
redglare

Yes, I replaced the batteries in both remotes. I also wanted to add that the door operates smoothly and does not bind. Thanks.

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 2:24PM
creek_side

If the same thing is happening with two different remotes, that pretty much leaves the receiver that is part of the logic board. It is likely a failed or marginal component is causing the problem. Repair would not be cost effective for a ten year old system.

One outside possibility is interference from something that is triggered when the door is opened. If you have something that gets turned on or responds in any way when the door is opened or movement is sensed in the garage, then investigate that device by disabling it while trying the door again.

Possible candidates are fluorescent lights, some kinds of wired motion detectors, any wireless motion detector, and any alarm system that transmits radio signals on any frequency.

Other than that, it's probably time for a new unit.

Bookmark   August 2, 2010 at 3:17PM
redglare

Thanks for your help creek side. No new electronics (lights, alarms, etc.) have been added to the garage. I even turned off all power except for the door opener, but no luck.
I finally gave up and bought a new one!

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 12:49AM
More Discussions
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Wayne Dalton i-Drive vs. Belt Drive vs. Screw Drive
Hello All, I am looking to install 2 new garage door...
rogeroh
Keyless lock for manual garage door?
I have a two car garage with separate manual lift garage...
mrpandy
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Relocate Carriage House on new foundation?
Hi there. My 1985 Victorian home here in Maine also...
dplayers1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™