Opinions on these trusses

ohmmm_gwAugust 2, 2014

House is in South Dakota. Built in 1977. The garage was a DIY project after the main house built. The garage has been through at least 31 winters so far here.

Obviously it's still standing. The truss connections are a bit suspect. And obviously old lumber from other projects was used.

The truss connectors are a mish mash of different types of steel plates, some plywood, some 1x. No consistency.

I was thinking of having drywall everywhere including over the OSB currently lining the walls. But am afraid that it will wind up looking like a roller coaster on the ceiling area.

24" on center W trusses. No roof vents on garage and no soffit vents currently.

Do these truss connections need to be beefed up?

Photos below...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

I wouldn't hang sheetrock on them as they are. I would be concerned that the gusset plates are undersized for even the current use.
The last pic doesn't show any nails through the gusset. How about the rest?

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 9:01AM
ohmmm_gw

On every other truss, it seems to be alternating along the outside walls, solid plate then the next truss has a mending plate with no nails...then solid plate on the next truss around the perimeter.

None of the mending(self nailing) type plates have nails.

Out of all the connections, I would say probably 8 or so are highly questionable.

Random selection of close up photos below.

I have never messed with trusses. Not sure what the proper plates are supposed to be or what the proper nailing pattern is for them.

Bookmark   August 3, 2014 at 4:27PM
over40

I would see how the bottom of the trusses line up.
If some are sagging, I would see if easy jacking gets it back in place. If so, then bolt on some gussets, to reinforce it. I would also bolt on (or lost of nails!) gussets and 2x's to reinforce where needed.
If the bottoms of the trusses are not lined up, you could shim where needed, before putting the rock on.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
Easy to use Backpack Blower Storage
I have been keeping my backpack blower on the floor...
blakeas
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Mountain of leaves on my driveway
So I acquired a huge pile of leaves that I used for...
bibbus
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™