Storing file cabinets with files in attached garage

susanlynn2012August 12, 2009

I just posted this on the basement forum since I did not know there was a garage forum so I guess this is called cross posting. Please help me.

I live in an attached interior townhouse with an attached one car garage. I made my family room and dining room a home office and over the last 12 years of living here have bought many file cabinets to keep the client papers and my billing files that I must keep for so many years. The big 5 drawer 42" wide Hon Putty file cabinets were bought when I moved in to line up again the wall and to all match to make my office professional.

Now that I am moving everything out of my home office into the garage and an POD in order to paint it and replace the 20 year old carpet with engineered wood floors, I am finding the room so lit up and happy without the huge file cabinets blocking the light from the window. I would like to keep only a few years in my home and a few older years in the garage in some of the big cabinets (older files I have now stored in a climate controlled outside storage facility).

My question is, would the files and papers get musty/moldy being in the garage that is not climate controlled in the Northern NJ area? I wish I only bought 4-drawer file cabinets since there 5-drawer cabinets can not fit up my stairs and I do not want them in my small family room that is open to the kitchen since I deserve a peaceful room when I am not working.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

I would imagine it might very much depend on how close you live to the water. I lived in South Jersey and didn't have any problems with storage in my un-conditioned garage.

Bookmark   August 21, 2009 at 11:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanlynn2012

Thank you Mike. I live in Northern NJ so maybe I will not have a problem either.

Bookmark   August 21, 2009 at 11:29PM
More Discussions
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™