Garage door opener problem

nextspringAugust 8, 2011

Hi Everyone,

I am new here.

Our garage door has a problem. Does anyone have a similar problem before? How to fix it?

I am wondering if we can replace some part by ourselves, or we need to get a professional?

Here is my uploaded video about the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGB9S0Ds1W0

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alice

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

Did you just install the opener? If so did you follow the instructions? It looks like it is out of adjustment but with you clicking the remote it is impossible to tell what is actually happening.

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 9:45AM
nextspring

Thanks for your reply.
The opener has been there for long time. It is screw drive type opener. On the rail assembly, there is an inner trolley (also called rack) and outer trolley. The problem I'm having is inner trolley moves fine, but once outer trolley is engaged, it would not move, making noise, as seen 26sec into the video. Then after disengaged outer trolley, the rack/inner trolley moves back and forth smoothly.

I didn't connect the door, so just try to isolate the problem from the garage door.

Thanks, Alice

Here is a link that might be useful: video is here at Youtube-Garage opener problem

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 5:32PM
don_1_2006

If you look at the parts breakdown under rail assembly parts in your owners manual you can see a part called a rack and one called the sprocket coupling. One of these is bad. Your opener is also opening too far and the trolley is jamming against the motor unit. This could be what caused your problem. At any rate you will need to remove the t-rail to inspect those two parts.

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 6:41PM
nextspring

Thanks, I do see "rack" and "sprocket coupling" in the manual as in the link below.

One more question, is it difficult to remove the T-rail and put it back on? it seems just few screws at the end of the wall, is there any thing special we need to pay attention to?

Thanks,

Alice

http://teknuw.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Liftmaster_2110.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: manual is here

Bookmark   August 9, 2011 at 7:12PM
don_1_2006

Okay there are those screws at the wall and if you look at page 6 of your manual you will see you have to remove 2 bolts and nuts and then the rail will slide off.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 4:32PM
nextspring

Thanks very much for your suggestion, I'll take apart the rail assembly and post the update. Thanks again,

Alice

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 10:59AM
Fred777

Fred777,email address is :fred_kreyer@yahoo.com,Subject :Garage door opener problem. I'm having problems with my garage door openers,the garage door openers open the garage door from inside of the house,but with the garage door closed and you are outside of the house and you use the garage door openers they will not open the garage door. I would like some ideas on what I can do.Thank you very much for your feedbacks, Fred777

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
Relocate Carriage House on new foundation?
Hi there. My 1985 Victorian home here in Maine also...
dplayers1
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
Keyless lock for manual garage door?
I have a two car garage with separate manual lift garage...
mrpandy
Sponsored Products
Crestview Newport 2 Door Tall Cabinet
Beyond Stores
Great Northern Popcorn 6055 Antique Style Popcorn Popper Machine - 6055
$203.97 | Hayneedle
Meditub 32x60 Left Drain Biscuit Whirlpool Jetted Walk-In Bathtub
Beyond Stores
Wyndham Collection Bathroom Centra 36 in. Vanity in White with Marble Vanity
Home Depot
Coastal Shower Doors Shower Enclosures Legend Series 42 in. x 69 in. Framed
Home Depot