Garage door opening/closing on it's own

bhpreston2August 28, 2008

I have an "Overhead Door". When the electricity goes out, the door opens and stays open until the electricity comes back on. The door opens whenever it wants to, but I have to shut off the power to the garage (via the circuit box), then turn it back on, then close the door by remote or button on the wall. I also noticed that one of the senor lights is green, while the other one is red. Any ideas???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

if it opens when power goes out it has a battery backup. if it closes via the remote, teh sensors are fine. some are both green, some are different colors.

what is the model of the opener?

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 10:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierragaragedoor1971

Just to confirm, do you have an "Overhead Door Company" BRAND machine? Or an "Overhead Door" garage door? Or are you perhaps using that term loosely?

May seem like redundant questions, but many people assume the brand of door and the machine are one of the same when most often, they are not. And the term "overhead" is commonly used to describe the position of the opener/door when in fact the brand of equipment could be Liftmaster, Craftsman, Genie, Clopay, Wayne Dalton, Holmes, etc.

I am not aware of any Overhead Door Company brand machines that are equipped with an optional battery backup system.

Just to confirm, are you saying that when the power goes out (either because of a failure or you manually shut the power off to the house) the door automatically opens all by itself? If so, what happens when you unplug the machine from the ceiling?

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 1:31PM
More Discussions
Shop vacuum
Are there any good 12 -15 amp shop vacs that have 1200-1500...
randalls1
Easy to use Backpack Blower Storage
I have been keeping my backpack blower on the floor...
blakeas
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
Moisture coming up through garage floor
House is in South Dakota. Split foyer. Built in 1977...
ohmmm_gw
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™