Brown Paper Flooring

sonepiMay 3, 2009

Has anyone seen or tried this? I recently saw a news segment here in our city where they were showcasing a local artist who creates the paper floor using her own technique. She swears it's durable and can be used everywhere except a basement.

I've looked online and seen several sites that address DIY paper bag floors, but don't know how realistic it is to use in a kitchen and how durable it would be for most homes. The only people in the home are adults, no pets or young children on a daily basis, so it would not get a lot of wear except general traffic. There are occasional visits from young grandchildren and maybe an occasional splash of water on floor would be expected.

Any pros, cons and experience with this technique would be appreciated. Also any comments on putting this on concrete and vinyl floor would be helpful. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
echoflooring

Wow, never heard of it. Looked it up and found a good link about it. Can't imagine it will hold luster very long, but maybe. Give it a try..Won't cost much. Don't spread the word too much as I wouldn't want it to put me out of business. Just kidding. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper bag look

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 12:26AM
glennsfc

If you are looking for longevity of your final result, then coat with a professional-grade waterborne polyurethane.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 7:40PM
sonepi

Maybe I'll try it in a small area of our garage first. It looks great, but wonder how well it will wear. I'll just add it to my long list of DIY projects.

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 11:40PM
dinkledoodle

We did that on a wall a few years back! It was fun. We didn't poly it, but it was not meant to be walked on. Frankly, almost anything will hold up with enough poly. We painted over vinyl and it held up for years.

Bookmark   May 22, 2009 at 4:59AM
OKMoreh

I have an old (1981) BH&G Decorating Book that shows this. They suggested multiple coats of polyurethane, perhaps as many as five, and said that this would make it as durable as most floors. It looked sort of like brown flagstone.

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 10:36PM
sonepi

I think most of the instructions I've seen say 5-7 coats of polyurethane.

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 6:50AM
jillwhinnery_yahoo_com

i practised on a small pc of particle board and found that the urethane didnt act as a glue; the paper just dried up and never adhered to board. could it be due to using urethane rather than POLYurethane? Might gluing pieces down before polyurthane work better?

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 2:06PM
More Discussions
Where can I find some replacement Haddon Hall parquet tiles?
I've been searching the Internets for a particular...
qacer
Please help - can't find a review anywhere
I haven't been able to find any consumer feedback on...
ciana
Chinese Hardwood Flooring - After Lumber Liquidators & 60 Minutes
Wondering how folks are now feeling about buying imported...
Ken Fisher
Install carpet over laminate flooring?
I am buying a house that has laminate wood flooring...
rlb4
Dupont's new Sorona carpet
We're just starting to shop around for new carpet for...
christie_sw_mo
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Handmade Soho Burst Beige New Zealand Wool Shag Rug (8' Round)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™