Finishing garage with pegboard - it's 6' short

VaninwiscAugust 29, 2010

I am preparing to install 3/16" X 8' white peg board on two walls in my garage to cover the raw studs. My problem is that the ceiling is 8' 6 1/2" leaving a void at the top or bottom. Rather than cutting a whole lot of 6 1/2"' strips to fill in the bottom gap, I would like to find another solution. My thought was to buy 8" boards as thin as possible (maybe 1/2") and use those to fill the void at the bottom of my pegboard. I would probably shim the boards out 3/16" and let the board overlap the pegboard in order to hide any imperfections. I would have to buy at least 40' of this board to finish off the job. I'm not trying to make it look like the interior of a house, but I would like it to look somewhat professional. It just occurred to me that I could put up an 4" board at the top and bottom. Should I just cut stips of pegboad or is there a better way? Any ideas? Thanks...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slars

I have peg board on two walls in my garage. The walls were already finished in drywall. I installed peg board from the ceiling to the floor. If I had it to do over I wouldn't install peg board all the way to the floor. The lower one third of the board I don't really even use, that space is taken up by the larger hanging tools.
I suggest installing 6' from ceiling leaving 2' to cut off each board. Three cuts and you have another full section. The bottom you could finish with drywall or plywood. Peg board could easily overlap the drywall to give it a finished look. If you do decide to install peg board from the ceiling to the floor you might want to make a small shelf a foot or so from the floor which can be used to get everything up off the garage floor.
Hope this is of some help.

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 12:07AM
More Discussions
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Minimum garage stall depth?
We have a 3-stall attached garage, where we park two...
btnik
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
Sponsored Products
Thomas Lighting Outdoor Lanterns. Covington Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Painted B
$74.00 | Home Depot
P652 Pendant by George Kovacs
$230.00 | Lumens
Lemon Zest Cleo 24" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Bakana Zigzag Grey Feather and Down Filled Throw Pillow
Overstock.com
Domi Bronze Three-Light Bath Fixture with Bicolor Green and Yellow Glass
$333.00 | Bellacor
Athena Molly Combo Dresser - Espresso - 560E
$299.00 | Hayneedle
Hampton Bay Outdoor Lanterns. Wall-Mount Outdoor 1-Light Rustic Iron Lantern (2-
$49.97 | Home Depot
Robert Abbey | Koleman Task Table Lamp
$187.00 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™