Best Floor Joist for Garage with apartment above

kevhmAugust 17, 2007

I am considering building a 28' X 30' Garage with an apartment above it. I am wanting to build it with no poles in the bottom so the whole garage is open. What is the best thing to use on the ceiling joists which will also be the apartment floor joists. One of my friends that builds said he would recommend the OSB I beam joists. I just wasn't sure if that would be better or if it would be better to put in a beam down the middle. Any opinions on this or maybe how you did yours.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fototaker

I would recommend the same thing (engineered wood i-joists). You could span the entire garage with these. You could reduce the depth of the joists (thereby reducing the cost of material) by installing a beam at the midpoint. But then you have the added cost of the beam and labor to install a beam, whether it be wood or steel. Check with your lumberyard and see what the difference in material cost is. Also, verify whether a beam would be feasable, based on your design.

Bookmark   August 17, 2007 at 2:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

You might also want to keep in mind that a large beam may keep you from installing automatic door openers.

Bookmark   August 22, 2007 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
New construction.. Trying to decide on what flooring for garage..
Ok.. So we are building a brand new house and one of...
Jason143NBPD
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™