Garage Issues

mondoAugust 26, 2010

Need some advice as I am not real handy.

Garage door (metal) is 20 years old and needs painting. I washed it with powerwasher and it took some paint off, now looks bad. What paint to use for metal door? Do I need to get all the original paint off? Do I need to use a primer?

Also, need to replace the rubber seal, is it best to nail, screw or staple this to the door?

Also have some water coming up in an area on the cement floor evidently from high ground water or a spring. Just gets damp from time to time. What should I use to seal this?

Boy, that is a lot of garage issues!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calipso69

Hi Mondo,

An acrylic enamel (water-based) would work best for you and this situation. All loose/flaking paint should be removed, but it is not necessary to remove all paint. If the old paint is thick, you may want to use some fine sandpaper and feather the edges for a smooth finish. If the old paint is glossy, use fine sandpaper to de-gloss it. Water should not bead on it, if it does, the new paint will not stick. As far as the damp area on the floor, are you sure there is no plumbing running in or near that area? If not, you may check into a product I use with tile called RedGuard. There are also a few other products for sealing basements, etc.

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 11:55AM
More Discussions
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Shop vacuum
Are there any good 12 -15 amp shop vacs that have 1200-1500...
randalls1
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
Mountain of leaves on my driveway
So I acquired a huge pile of leaves that I used for...
bibbus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™