Craftsman garage Door opener

cash53August 25, 2008

Already figured out the 5 blinks. Motor must have overheated while checking last night. I unplugged unit and replugged and blinking has stopped with no change in the travel of the door down. Any thought?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

okay

Bookmark   August 25, 2008 at 2:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sierragaragedoor1971

To answer your question here as to why the machine may have overheated and/or why the problem went away after unplugging it is that Chamberlain machines have a built in thermocouple that will disable the unit to prevent further damage (overheating the motor, blowing the starting capacitor, etc.) And sometimes unplugging the machine reboots the system and clears out the "ghosts in the machine." It's kind of like rebooting your PC - it will sometimes make minor issues go away.

HOWEVER, with that being said, if your door comes down on it's own manually or slams to the ground, your springs need to be adjusted by a professional. As the previous poster said in your other thread, your door is NOT balanced. Which means that your machine is doing double duty to lift that door. Not a huge deal, but you will wear out the machine prematurely.

Contrary to popular belief, the springs do all the work, the machine just gives the door the initial push and pull. And, if your door has 2 springs instead of only 1, the second spring is not there as a "back-up" to be used in the meantime until the broken spring can be replaced. If 1 spring breaks in a 2 spring setup, the door will again be out of balance and the remaining spring will be doing the work of both springs, decreasing it's life cycle as well.

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 12:59PM
More Discussions
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Need help diagnosing Chamberlain Garage Door Problem
Hi, Have a 1/3 Chamberlain Liftmaster that started...
koalb01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™