Basement as a garage/shop space

mikedcAugust 29, 2007

I am planning to renovate the unfinished basement in my 100 yr old row house. The space is what I would call a ¾ basement (not a walk-out but mostly under ground) I want to use half of the area for living space (rec. room, bathroom) and the other half as a shop space that I can store and repair motorcycles, lawn mowers etc. I have an oil fired boiler and gas water heater that I plan to replace with electric models and locate them in a small room in the living space. If I consider it an attached garage with living space above, I know there are requirements for fire resistant sheet rock, a fire rated door, etc. Some of the things I am not sure about are if I have to install a special fire wall, vapor sealing, ventilation, or anything else to make it safe. Does anyone have experience with attached garages especially in a basement?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flgargoyle

You'll have to check with your local codes about fire wall regs, etc. You'll want to ventilate it really well, such as with a fan or something, otherwise the odors and fumes WILL get into the house. If you are going to work with, and store any flammable liquids, I recommend a flammables storage cabinet, which is designed to safely contain these chemicals, and a good, large fire extinguisher (or two). Industrial suppliers, such as Grainger and MSC carry the cabinets.

Bookmark   September 2, 2007 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
Wayne Dalton i-Drive vs. Belt Drive vs. Screw Drive
Hello All, I am looking to install 2 new garage door...
rogeroh
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Shop vacuum
Are there any good 12 -15 amp shop vacs that have 1200-1500...
randalls1
Craftsman Garage Opener Clicks only and LED blinking 5 times
My 1/2 HP Model 139.53641SRT opener clicks to all my...
nosleep
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Sponsored Products
Ski Patrol Mat
Grandin Road
Catalina Multicolored Area Rug - 2'3" x 8'
Grandin Road
GE Hanging Fixtures LED White Battery Operated Oval Tap Light 17422
$8.43 | Home Depot
Westek 21 in.P-I Plant Grow Fluorescent White Cabinet Light FA352HBWCC
$25.06 | Home Depot
GE 18 in. Fluorescent Premium Linkable White Undercabinet Light 10112
$34.97 | Home Depot