garage floors

paul21August 4, 2010

I currently have a garage being built and am wondering about protecting the concrete floor from stains etc. When I checked this forum for info , I found mixed reviews for epoxy paint and mostly negative ones for other paint , even the ones supposedly designed for concrete. Are there any other preparations out here e.g. clear sealers etc. that anyone has had success with ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul21

Never mind responding, after searching out all the info I could find locally and thru another source, it turns out that my dear "country cousin" had the answer. He said " if you paint it once , you're never done, no matter what type of paint you use " . Furthermore , he suggested that if I was storing a car that leaked oil or was going to be engaged in any activity that could lead to oil etc on the floor, that I might want to invest in a roll of garage floor covering for that area ( available from HD ). HOWEVER... the clincher was that he took me to his 10 yr old garage where his son and friends work on their clunkers and had me look at his floor. I couldn't believe it ! Sure there was a bit of staining from foot traffic etc, but essentially it was perfect ! The secret ??
Apparently when the contractors polish the slab, the process brings the "brine" to the surface which when it dries , forms a protective surface . I don't know if this makes any sense, and I'm sure that if it doesn't somebody out there will let me know, but I'm happy with leaving it the way it is now that I've seen the cousins floor

Bookmark   August 13, 2010 at 6:10AM
More Discussions
Good material to patch potholes in old garage floor?
I have some pot holes in my 1963 garage floor. The...
griz8312
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Sponsored Products
Virginia Leopard Print Rug (7'9 x 11')
Overstock.com
Luceplan | Pod Lens System
$270.00 | YLighting
MTI MTSB-4842MT Shower Base (48" x 42")
Modern Bathroom
Les Sirenes Natural Giclee Nickel Garth Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Advance Centium ICN1P32N Electronic T8 Ballast, 1 x 32W
LBC Lighting