garage door sticks

dkosmurfetteAugust 9, 2007

WHEN I LOWER MY GARAGE DOOR IT SLIDES TO THE LEFT (LOOKING FROM THE INSIDE) THEN STICKS AND GOES BACK UP. ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA ON HOW TO FIX IT??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

Look closely on the right side as it is closing. You should be able to see where it is encountering resistance. It might be easier to do this manually, with the GDO disengaged.

Bookmark   August 9, 2007 at 2:07PM
doorguy06

It is normal for a door to walk to one side or another as it goes up and down. As randy said operate the door manually. See if you can pin point what it is hanging up on. It may be as simple as the left track is too tight and needs adjusted out. Check to make sure all the track bracket bolts are tight etc. Make sure all the hinges are in good shape and make sure the rollers are in good shape.

If it can't be identified fairly easily, I would recommend calling someone out to take a look.

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 10:05AM
marineguy

I also have this problem, but I don't think the door is rocking back and forth, at least it's not noticable. Mine gets hung up either halfway down or right at the bottom. And it creaks so loud it wakes the neighbors up two houses down when I leave in the morning (so they say). It's always been like this, since the house was new, but now it seems to be struggling more than ever to go up and down.
What do you think would cause the creaking? Is that probably related to the hanging up? I can't grease the hinges or I'll have grease dripping all over my vehicles. Any ideas?

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 3:51PM
doorguy06

Marineguy, oooorrrrrrraaaaahhhhhhh.

Without seeing it I would recommend that you oil the door. Use a penetrating oil. Don't use grease. Grease is only going to collect dirt, grass, and whatever else is floating around in the air. Spray all the hinges and rollers and tracks. Move the cars first and leave the door in the up position for about 20 min. to let all the excess drip off. Run the door a couple times to get the lubricant worked in and see if that does the trick. Doors have moving mechanical parts just like a car engine and they require lubrication as well.

Doorguy

Bookmark   August 10, 2007 at 9:08PM
More Discussions
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Relocate Carriage House on new foundation?
Hi there. My 1985 Victorian home here in Maine also...
dplayers1
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Sponsored Products
MaxLite LSU2406SU30DV50 2 Foot LED Utility Wrap Fixture, 5000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Powder Coated Black Energy Star Outdoor Wall Lantern with Photocell and White Gl
$39.97 | Bellacor
Averill Park 14 3/4" High Bronze Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Prepac HangUps Garage 90 Inch Storage Cabinet Set G Four Piece in Gray
Beyond Stores
Leaf Ceiling Fan by Fanimation Fans
$699.00 | Lumens
Banded Aluminum Outdoor Sconce - ADA by Hubbardton Forge
$238.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™