Need firm couch for bad knees/hips. Camelback?

scottmelSeptember 4, 2012

I really need a couch that offers SUPPORT. My current couch is Flexsteel with the loose back cusions and deep seat and I all but sink into the thing. Way too deep and the soft back offers no support on hips/pelvis.

Camelback couches to me seem the most logical -narrow seat - and firmer back. Trouble is they don't seem too terribley fashionable looking unless I am looking at the wrong ones!

Any GREAT couch manufacturers for firm sofas? Anyone else have bad knees or hips and love their couch? thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmanbike

Scottmel, I think I know what you mean, I myself have had knee surgeries as results of torn cartilage and was in a accident with a fractured hip. All this seems to affect my lower back, especially when sitting for a long time. I find that my posture and keeping a good posture when sitting helps more than anything.
I suggest is first understand what your best seat depth should be; measure from the inside of your knee to your back while your sitting in a good posture. This should give you a basic starting point to work from. Best to have the seats and back pillow in foam encased inside a envelope or wrapped that has no more than 3/4" thickness of polyester fiber or memory foam around the foam. The seat foam should be a HR foam 2.0 or higher density and a ILD of 28 - 32. This is a standard Firm seat that will remain the same firmness for many years. The back cushions should have no less than 1.8 density and 18- 22 ILD. A tight back sofa is fine too if you can find the one with the right depth to your size. A pillow back will allow for a easier adjustment for the manufacturer.
I think your best option is to find a custom built sofa to fit your requirements. One that offers a number of choices for seating comfort ie: a firmer seat.

Of course I built my own sofa specifically for my hips and knees, well because I am the owner of a upholstery plant.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 4:13AM
scottmel

Thank you so much for the awesome detailed response!!

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 10:25PM
petuniaxyz

I purchased the Paramount sofa from Ethan Allen a few months ago. My husband had a knee replacement a year ago and I have a bad back. The sofa is senior friendly. The height of the seat and firmness of the seat and back cushions makes it easy to get up without putting a strain on your joints. I was able to select the firmness I wanted. I am very pleased with my purchase.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 8:13PM
freethinker99

Scottmel rmanbike gave a very good review of cushions and cushion reguirements. Most better end manufacturers of upholstered furniture do offer or will special order cushion options to suit your requirements.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 10:15PM
francypants

The firmest sofa I ever had was a sleeper. I was like sitting on a board (in a good way). We've gone through our last two sofas with no luck in finding the firmness we need. The first was a lovely Drexel-Heritage that found its way into the formal living room after a week. Even though it had a tight-back, the bench seat wasn't working for us. Last one was a King Hickory and its fabric went to h*ll in a hurry and is not high enough for my 6'4" DH.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 11:06PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Table Repair
Hi. My kitchen table has a crack in it and I was wondering...
marc83
Tolix for outdoors?
Does anyone have experience using Tolix chairs outdoors?...
Chris 802
Smith Brothers of Berne - experience with?
Apologies for the dual post - I'm sinking the other...
marys1000
Slats or Boxspring?
Like the title says: Slats or Boxspring to support...
pbx2
Bernhardt vs. Thomasville for leather.
Thinking of getting a leather sofa for its durability....
Sparks72
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™