pulling Pole Barn Nails

knickJuly 14, 2010

Anyone have any good Ideas for pulling nails on a steel roof on a pole barn? Want to pull nails and replace with screws. would like something that may work standing up right. I have to pull 11,000 of them so I need something efficient!

Thanks for any input!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

There are a number of nail puller bars on the market, I saw at least a half-dozen different ones at Sears. I'd look for one with a tapering width at the nose that can be hammered down to get under the nail head.
In my experience, pole barns are frequently made with green lumber and galvaiized ribbed nails, making nail removal very difficult. I'd be prepared for many of the nail heads to break off before the nail comes out.

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 2:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jey_l

If you have access to the underside using a jack to give the panels a little lift makes the job much easier and reduces the damage on the panels. Just a light weight jack and a 2x notched in certain areas to provide support next to the rafters.

Us a couple of C clamps to hold the 2x in place to make it easier snug enough so it doesn't fall. The jack will still be able to lift it the 1//4 to 1/2" you will need to make it easier to grab the head with the puller.

My question would be why do you need to do this? Did someone use aluminum roofing nails on a steel panel or something? Can you just add some self tapping screws if it just needs to be fastened more securely?

Bookmark   July 29, 2010 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
New construction.. Trying to decide on what flooring for garage..
Ok.. So we are building a brand new house and one of...
Jason143NBPD
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Sun shines on sensor....
...and garage door will not stay down! Anyone have...
phoggie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™