Door Opener Light Turns ON& Off Randomly

valley_view_robJuly 28, 2010

I have a Sears 414315-7A garage door opener built 03/95. The light on the opener will turn on for a few minutes, and then turn off - seemingly at random. Sometimes it stays on and the only way to shut it of is to open and close the door. When the door is opened, the light might shut off in 10 minutes or just stay on.

Everything else is fine. Door opens & closes properly and works from keypad, cars, and the wall switch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Rob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
creek_side

I would try the following:

Kill the power to the unit completely. Leave it off for about five minutes, then plug it back in. This will cause the microprocessor on the logic board to reboot. It might clear the problem.

If that doesn't work, I would put in a new light bulb or bulbs, as the case may be. I know that sounds weird, but trust me, I have a reason for the suggestion.

At least some of the Sears openers use electronics to directly control the lamp(s), instead of using a relay. That means the bulb's filaments are part of a circuit. It is remotely possible that some abnormal characteristic of the bulb is causing issues for the circuitry.

It's a long shot, but it doesn't take much effort to give it a try.

If neither of those work, you are probably looking at a flaky logic board. If that's the case, it will have to be replace. You can usually order one over the Internet for $60 - $70.

Buying a whole new unit might be a better deal when Sears has them on sale.

Bookmark   July 28, 2010 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Good material to patch potholes in old garage floor?
I have some pot holes in my 1963 garage floor. The...
griz8312
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™