Inexpensive Garage door opener

kats_meowJuly 9, 2006

We are moving into a rental house temporarily while building a new house. The rental house has an attached double garage which is prewired for garage door opener but doesn't have one.

I want to buy and have installed (at my own expense) a garage door opener with 2 remotes. We will leave it there when we leave. We will be in this house 9 months to a year. Obviously I want something reliable enough that it won't break but don't want to incur a huge expense since I will only be using this for, at most, a year.

I went to the Sears web page and they have tons of alternatives at various prices. Any recommendations for something inexpensive that will meet our needs?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

If longevity or features aren't a concern, I'd buy the cheapest opener you can find. The alternative is to save the money for a nice opener in your new home. I don't know if you have kids but I was my father's garage door opener for many years. :-)

Mike

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 6:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Don_

I would purchase Sears cheapest chain drive model. I would not use the existing wiring. It is usually not color coded and you can go nuts trying to wire your door sensors. Follow the installation steps in the owners manual and you can't go wrong.

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™