Craftsman vs Overhead Door Opener

kabergsJuly 13, 2006

We're at the final stages of building our house and our builder has offered to install Overhead Door Belt Driven openers for $495 a piece. I've noticed that Sears offers the Craftsman belt driven openers for $219 plus $120 intallation for my area. With a three car garage that is a savings of about $480. Granted the convenience of having the builder coordinate everything is worth some money, but are the Overhead Door openers that much better? My gut tells me they are, based on nothing but instinct and seeing quite a few posts with "Craftsman Problems" lately.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
formulaross

My garage doors were recently installed by a local professional door company. We'll have the openers put in after the drywalling is complete, but their belt-drive Chamberlain openers installed are $289 each, for a total of $867 on my 3 doors, so I suggest you just do some shopping around. I've also noticed the extreme number of Craftsman posts and have wondered if it's due to low quality of the openers or poor installation by homeowners.

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 9:45AM
mfbenson

"I've also noticed the extreme number of Craftsman posts and have wondered if it's due to low quality of the openers or poor installation by homeowners."

I have too, but I've also wondered what craftsman's market share is - I mean, after all, if they've got an 80% market share, it would stand to reason that they should have 80% of the complaints too.

I have a Genie and its been flawless.

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 4:16PM
Don_

Craftsman garage door openers are manufactured by Chamberlain. Sears doesn't post their share of market but believe me it is huge. Chamberlain is the worlds largest manufacturer of door openers and it is because of Sears. Overhead Doors and Genie openers are manufactured by Sanwa Shutter Company.

Bookmark   July 14, 2006 at 5:39PM
More Discussions
Allister GDO not closing with remote
Having a problem with my Allister Access 3500 GDO not...
irishh7
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™