Mixing different tiles

prairiedawnpamMay 4, 2011

We are reflooring our front hall entryway with ceramic. I would like to add accent tiles of a different colour as a border. Should the tiles be the same type of ceramic? I assume brand doesn't matter? Or can we really mix things up by going with a different substance entirely?

...Pam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliceinwonderland_id

You can mix tile types. You need to be aware of the potentially varying tile thicknesses so that compensation can be made during install. They should be installed such that the top surfaces are level.

Bookmark   May 4, 2011 at 6:01PM
stanleytapp

Oh i thought you would like to add different color tiles for your flooring.But it is ok. You can use mix the tile types according to your comfort.

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 6:24AM
Laguna92607

I think using a darker tile border looks great! That said, I wouldn't change the type of tile (ceramic, slate, porcelain, marble, etc.) and as mentioned above, be sure to do a side by side comparison of the two to make sure they are the same thickness.

If you end up doing a border, you should consider using a diamond pattern in the center like in the picture below. In my opinion, it makes a space look more warm and inviting, as well as more custom, even though it doesn't cost a lot! It also breaks up a predictable pattern and makes the floor pop.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 1:13AM
More Discussions
wood floor finish (am I being too picky)
We recently had our wood floors refinished with the...
Jennifer White Green
Help with floor height difference between kitchen and other rooms
So, I've never really done home renovations before,...
Aubrey Curtis
LVP Underlayment
Hello all. Like everyone here I am in the middle of...
ryancoc22
floor refinishing question...how long does it really take?
I am looking at getting my floor refinished. It is...
cindywhitall
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™