Work Bench top

marciagayeJuly 1, 2008

My husband is thinking about redoing his workshop....which is in the garage. What material would you suggest for the top of the bench that can take a lot of abuse? I know laminates can't take the abuse. I also know that Maple is very hard....any suggestions or advise on what to stay away from. Right now his bench is 12 ft and turns to make a L and the short section is 4 ft.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bas157

old bowling alley? The lane near me sells used bowling alleys by the foot. I would think those would make a good surface!

Bookmark   July 6, 2008 at 9:05PM
raisedin99

have you given any thought of using a plaster cored door ( fire proof door) ?

I am a retired hospital maintenance man and during our many construction projects these type of doors were thrown out by the dozens... you will not find a better bench top for free.

hospitals are constantly under construction check with the hospital plant operations manager or the contractor doing the project and i would bet that you could get all you wanted for the asking....................

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 7:53AM
woodsprite_61

What a great idea to recycle an old fire door! That's a page I'll be borrowing out of your book.

Thanks for that!!

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 5:43PM
davidandkasie

i have always just used 3/4" plywood. a true workbench should have scars. if someone wants one that will forever look like it is on a showroom floor, then they ain't using it right!

for looks i would go with stainless steel if money is not an issue. any type of laminate/composite/etc jsut won't hold up to the beating and banging of a workbench.

Bookmark   July 18, 2008 at 10:52AM
flgargoyle

I use solid core doors (new or used) for the top, then slip a piece of masonite over it. You can periodically replace the masonite at low cost.

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 7:57AM
bobismyuncle

It really depends upon what your primary activity is. I'd have different recommendations for rebuilding transmissions, fine woodwork, pottery, or welding.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™