Edger left white hazy/cloud after sanding

Bster13May 26, 2012

Hello All,

New homeowner here trying to DIY my floors.

I used my Porter Cable random orbital hand sander w/ a rented U-Sand Pro: (http://www.u-sand.com/u-sand/professional-sander.aspx)

I started w/ 40 grit U-Sand and then used the Porter Cable w/ a 40 grit to do the edges. At times I really had to work at the edges, even turning my Porter Cable at an angle to the floor to concentrate on tough problem area right near where the quarter round will go.

I then used 60 grit w/ the U-Sand all the way around..... the U-Sand gets right up on the edges, unlike a drum sander.

Next was 100 grit w/ the U-Sand including baseboard areas.

And finally 100/120 foam-backed finishing pad w/ the U-Sand all the way around including the baseboard areas.

I noticed white/hazy/cloudy marks on a lot of the baseboard areas. Here are photos of the flooring meeting up with the stone fireplace:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8970927@N04

This area was especially tough as I had to be very controlled in walking the Porter Cable hand sander up to the stone so as not to mark up the stone itself, but get the old finish off. I definitely angled the hand sander here a lot for extra control. This was all done with the 40-grit and then with the U-Sand went over this area including all of the rest of the floor with the higher grits.

So I figured I just didn't take enough time to get out the 40-grit marks on the baseboards. Last night I put on 150-grit paper on my Porter Cable hand sander and it made it worse....it just seemed to extend out the white haze ("photo 1 (3)").

Any suggestions? This 1030 sq. ft. is kicking this newbie's butt!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr Photos

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregmills_gw

So i checked out your pictures. I dont think you have anything to be concerned about. Palm sanders and leave those marks.

Do this and this should prove me right.
Take a little finish and apply it over the areas in question. If you cant see it then im right.

Also i wouls suggest you screen the entire floor once all sanding is done. That extra step will take out the hazy too.
The hazy just comes from different styles of grinding. I.e. Rotary vs drum. The screening helps blend the two together.

Also kudos for tackling 1000sq ft for a newbie. When i first started sanding over 10 yrs ago i thought 300 was never going to end!

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 3:24PM
woodfloorpro

The haze is residual finish. If you are doing a straight oil base urethane your probably alright, If your staining or using a waterbased product to finish you will need to sand it out. A palm sander is not the right tool, too light and not enough power, an edger is. Then follow with a palm sander if staining to blend the two machine types sanding patterns together.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 9:34AM
sombreuil_mongrel

I think the haze is roughness from the 40 grit; it needs to be blended back to the field; You ordinarily can't go from 40 grit to 150. Maybe to 80, then 100.
Figure that the u-sand has a very different orbit than your hand-held, and see what grit it takes to blend the edge into the field.
You want it smooth like a piano ;-)
Casey

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 7:22PM
More Discussions
Water-based finish over dark stained floors?
Hi all, Folks are about to start flooring work on my...
afrochic2
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
Anyone used Coretec?
I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any...
joygreenwald
Tigerwood Flooring - if you have it would you do it again
We are considering putting in Tigerwood flooring. We...
snowcamp
Is it a bad idea to use pebble tiles in the kitchen?
I am wondering if pebble tiles work ok in the kitchen...
sherry0117
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™