Buying my first bedroom set & overwhelmed - Broyhill, Vaughan..?

AcidPopSeptember 23, 2012

I'm a recent college graduate looking to buy my first bedroom set. Given the economy, I wasn't able to find a great job even though I worked my butt off in college. So although I could afford a $5000 set with money I have in the bank, I don't want to. It wouldn't be a smart move for me at the moment. I'm really looking for a bedroom set (including the bed, a nightstand, and a dresser) that doesn't cost over $2000, as I also want to buy a curio cabinet for my room. My question is, can I get decent quality furniture for this price, and if so, what brands should I be looking at? I've already found a Broyhill set (the attic heirloom collection?) that I liked, as the mink finish was very unique, but I found pretty poor reviews for them online. I then found a Vaughan-Bassett set I like, but once again found a lot of people bad-mouthing them. Now, I know that there will always be negative reviews for pretty much every company, but I'm terrified of spending over $1000 on furniture that will only last a few years. I want something much more durable. I DON'T want to have to repurchase furniture in 5 years. Can anyone help me? I feel so overwhelmed at the moment between trying to find this furniture and a decent mattress.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Get to an antiques shop....or a resale consignment shop. You will find a lot better quality for less money than the new shop...
For $2000 you won't find a "set" of any sort of good quality. You will need to spend a minimum of $500 on mattress and box springs. That leaves only $1500 for dresser night stand curio cabinet and perhaps a chair or bench.
Get to a resale shop or Craigs list. Remember, buying furniture is much like buying a car...if you buy "previously owned" you miss that brand new feel, but someone else has already taken the major hit on the cost.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 11:41AM
AcidPop

I've been browsing Craigslist but most of what I'm finding is old-fashioned, heavy looking pieces in light oak. The exact opposite of what I want. The only antique stores near us are priced to the extreme. Definitely not affordable.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 9:26PM
tuesday_2008

If you can wait, keep looking on Craigslist - you never know what might show up. Search my manufacturer, i.e. Broyhill, Ethan Allen, etc and also search by "bedroom".

Here is an example of what is on my local CL today.

Another way to save money would be to buy something similary to this, and look for an iron bed. I love that look.

Here is a link that might be useful: Attic Heirloom

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
Durability of white leather
Will a white leather sofa discolor eventually no matter...
booyah053
Lexington chez michelle Bedroom Set - 7 piece
Hi, i am purchasing a used 7-piece Lexington chez michelle...
kathietang
Room&Board Cruz Chaise Lounge Cushion help
I would be forever grateful If anyone has a Cruz chaise...
missmaggs
need help with living room furniture placements
Hi, I have this living room 16.5 by 21.5 and the fireplace...
missbaggy
Rowe Furniture: Good or Bad?
I've been reading lots of comments on this site (both...
country459
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™