how to wire garage door sensors ?

kenjhJuly 8, 2010

No manuel for craftsman model 139-18850.Which sensor wires,

#two white two black go to which screws on back of opener,

there are 3 #1 red #2 white #3 black ? Wall switch works red to #1 & white to #2.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

The two solid white wires from the sensors go to terminal #2 and the two white wires with the black stripe go to terminal #3.

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 3:37PM
kenjh

THANKS DAN TRIED THAT BUT NO LUCK. MY SON HAD TRIED EARLIER & HE CONNECTED THE WHITES TO #1 RED TERMINAL & I THINK HE MAY HAVE FRIED THE BOARD! ANYWAY TO CHECK THE BOARD?

Bookmark   July 10, 2010 at 7:35PM
don_1_2006

There is no way to check the board other than replacement. What is the problem with the opener? Is it working at all?

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 9:38AM
kenjh

Hi don.Press wall switch door will open to close must hold switch on until it is closed.Car remote no longer works!

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 6:07PM
don_1_2006

If when you try to close the door the main light flashes 10 times when the door reverses it is a door sensor problem. Make sure the sensors are pointed at one another and that the small light on each one is lit and not flickering ever so slightly. If you cannot get both lights to come on you have a bad sensor.

Bookmark   July 12, 2010 at 6:46PM
kenjh

Hi Don Looking out the door left sensor green light on
right sensor no light so I now assume sensor is kaput
but only way is to buy a new one then hope we haven't
also fried the board.

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 6:52PM
judyg_2010

I have a similar problem with the contacts on one of the sensors on a Craftmans garage door opener (about 17 years old). Today I opened it fine when I tried to close it, no go. I wiggled the wires and the light went off & on, but would not stay on. Narrowed it down to the contacts on the sensor. I pulled it out and cleaned contacts gently with a toothbrush. Still no go. still light comes on & off when wiggling the contacts at the base of the sensor. Do I need new contacts or the whole sensor box? anything else I can try? I am pretty good at fixing stuff my self. Unemployed and don't have money to pay Sears to fix. tks, Judy

Bookmark   July 24, 2010 at 3:36PM
Dprove1034_aol_com

Hi, I noticed that my Garage Door did not have any Sensors. I bought a set of retro-fit sensors and wired them and am ready to hook-up to opener ( Sear Best Craftsman Door opener at least 20 yrs old). However, the opener has a 4-wire set-up ( so does the wall mounted opener ). I joined the sensor wires ( 2 sets together ) and I'm not sure how to do the connection at Door Opener. There is a Red / White / Black & Yellow hook-up and I have a White and white-black from sensors.

Can someone please help?
Thanks, Dino Pro

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 2:08PM
don_1_2006

Your opener was made long before door sensors were even thought of. You should invest in a new state of the art opener. Whoever sold you "retro-fit" sensors is a snake salesman.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 3:32PM
DinoPro

Don, that being said.....can sensors still be hooked up to an old school door opener? Wiring as described from last post?

DP

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 4:04PM
don_1_2006

No the opener has to be designed for sensors. When they first came out with safety sensors they had a kit to upgrade the previous model but that was long after yours was built and there never was a kit for yours. Just to give you an idea your keypad for outside the garage door was hardwired. Those days are gone and the newer models are much safer.

Bookmark   June 20, 2011 at 6:40PM
More Discussions
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Easy to use Backpack Blower Storage
I have been keeping my backpack blower on the floor...
blakeas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™