Which adhesive for engineered wood over underfloor heating? Rea

bwadboyMay 21, 2012

Hi

We've just bought a place in France and would like to lay down an engineered wooden floor. The flat has underfloor heating and we've been advised to glue the floor rather than floating. I'd like to know which adhesive works best - I'll be buying it in the UK as prices are high in France. I've checked out Everbuild lumberjack, Bona, Eva stick and rewmar but not sure which is the best value for money. Everbulid is not solvent free - is that a concern. Thanks in advance for any help - kind of stuck! Excuse the pun.

Read more: http://www.diynot.com/forums/floors-stairs-lofts/which-adhesive-for-engineered-wood-over-underfloor-heating.324646/#2405693#ixzz1vW72cMKt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gregmills_gw

Bona is always good. Also Wakol. What is the heating element? Electrical or water? If electrical DO NOT apply the glue directly over the heating element.

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 6:36PM
bwadboy

I think there are water pipes under the concrete floor. It is a 1950s buliding . After much research I've realised that gluing down the floor is best but here in France there are many shops which state that I'd need to glue a layer of cork under the wood. They say that for the neighbors and possible future legal conflict it's necessary. Is this the case or can I just glue the wood straight onto the concrete floor? Also, is it really not advisable to float the floor? The cost of extra adhesive and cork will be significant - not to mention the extra work load!

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 9:07AM
gregmills_gw

Who told you not to float???

You can float any floor over any substrate. And cork is a waste of time. The nice thing about is that you can lay it then sand out any humps easier then grinding concrete. But you should lay some sort of underlayment wether it be tar paper or something else.

If you want to reduce the amount of noise that can be cause from walking on the floor they have underlayments that are designed for such purposes. They are expensive ($200 for 100sq ft) but being concrete your not going to be disturbing your neighbors.

Your decision.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 5:56PM
More Discussions
Review on Taun wood
Has anyone used Taun wood for flooring? We are looking...
itspepsico
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
Handscraped hardwood -- will it become dated?
So we are in the process of building a new home. We...
carsonheim
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™