Sears garage door opener problem

mudslideJuly 7, 2008

After a storm on July 4th we noticed the garage door opener (Sears 1/2 hp mod. # 139.53664SRT2) would not work and smelled like something had been burning. After a couple of hours I tried it again and it opened all the way and then it closed about a foot and then opened all the way and stopped. It seemed to be buzzing then and would not work for a while. The smell returned. I tried it again the next day with the exact same result. The same kind of opener on the other door seems to still work fine. Could the problem be the control panel and would it be wise to repair it or replace it? Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

From the description of your problem it could be the door sensors or the logic board. You need to weigh the cost of repair against the cost of replacement.

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 4:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
peterxyliu

I just bought a Craftsman remote control. It was not fuctioning at all even though I have programed it following the instrction step by step. However, it looks like the remote control unit was communicating with the garage opener because when I pressed the blue button, the light on the receiver came up, and it went off when I released the button. Anyone can help? Thank you.

Bookmark   July 9, 2008 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
New construction.. Trying to decide on what flooring for garage..
Ok.. So we are building a brand new house and one of...
Jason143NBPD
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
Sun shines on sensor....
...and garage door will not stay down! Anyone have...
phoggie
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™