Need Advice on Garage Door Choices

Crystal6145July 3, 2013

I have settled on an 7 x 16 Amarr garage door. The models I am deciding from are the Heritage 3000 and the Olympus 500.

The Heritage is cheaper by $450, made from 24 gauge steel, 2" thick, but is insulated with polystyrene with an r value of 9.

The Olympus is only 27 gauge steel, also 2" thick, but is insulated with the better polyurethane blowin in with an r value of 19 and has 1 year longer hardware warranty.

My question is "will the polyurethane blown in insulation compensate in strength against dents for the 27 gauge vs. the stronger 24 gauge with the glued in polystyrene?"

I live in a very hot climate where 100 degree days are normal for several months of the year with mild winters, but do not heat/cool my garage and no living quarters above it so r value is important. I read that rvalue 16 is not double of rvalue 8 and is only about an energy savings of 5% so if this is right my main concern is strength and stability.

Thanks for any knowledge you may have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

If you don't heat or cool the space, what energy are you 'saving'?
I don't see r value being important here. More insulation slows the migration of heat into or out of a space, but the difference in this situation will not be noticable.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 9:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windowsonwashington

No need to go with the higher R-Value core if there is not living space above the garage or if you aren't worried about keeping the garage more temperate.

The standard foam will give you plenty of impact protection and if you hit it hard enough to dent it with EPS, it will dent with polyurethane foam as well.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 9:03AM
More Discussions
Shop vacuum
Are there any good 12 -15 amp shop vacs that have 1200-1500...
randalls1
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™