Replacing nonstandard size garage door

esgaJuly 29, 2007

Can anyone give me some advice about options for replacing a 10' wide garage door? It's wood, and falling apart beyond repair, so it has to be replacement. I just started looking at Lowe's and HD for comparison and am told this is not a standard size.

I will contact some independents too - but now I fear this is going to turn into a really big budget problem.

I could check into having the opening narrowed by a foot, but should I talk to the installers about this before hiring a contractor? Lowe's and HD folks weren't interested in talking further once they learned it might not be a standard size (I went home and measured again, but there's no doubt).

Any advice welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doorguy06

A ten foot wide door is not uncommon. They are every where. It will cost about $20.00 more than a 9 foot wide door. If anyone is telling you different, they are taking you for a ride. $500-$700 will get you in the ball park depending upon if you want an insulated or non insulated door. It will cost you more to narrow the opening 1 foot. Find someone who knows what they are talking about.

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 9:33PM
esga

Thanks so much! I started pricing doors last year, and I now I told the salesperson then that it was 10' and I didn't get the "we-can't-deal-with-this" story then, so I was suprised when I went back to them last week. I will definitely look for a more knowledgeable sales force.

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 11:24AM
randy427

They may not stock 10' doors, but they can certainly order them. Ask to see their vendor catalogs to look at the various styles, colors and qualities.

Bookmark   July 30, 2007 at 9:17PM
esga

Thanks again. I have been delaying on this because I've dreaded dealing with something I thought would be really difficult. This gives me hope that it will be fairly simple after all.

Bookmark   August 8, 2007 at 11:20AM
More Discussions
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Sponsored Products
Lap Shelving Medium Frame
Design Within Reach
American Outdoor Grill Double Side Burner - 3282
$809.10 | Hayneedle
Bowed Bar Scrollwork Three Fold Fireplace Screen - Venetian Bronze
Signature Hardware
Door Mats: Creative Accents Doors & Hardware Double Picture Frame Orange Brown
$59.97 | Home Depot
Replacement Fan Blades & Arms: Illumine 4-Hole Fan Blade (4-Pack) CLI-SH20285304
$17.99 | Home Depot
Eastbourne Tiffany Style Iron Arc LED Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Sure-Loc Vintage Bronze Front Entry Handleset (Egg/Round Interior Trim Options)
Overstock.com
Class II 14 Inch High Outdoor Wall Light -Black Gold
$30.21 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™