Renewed Leather???

andrelaplume2September 6, 2012

Anyone know anything about this product sold by Laz Y Boy...perhaps others.

We have a basement with a small seating area just about finsished. I can fit a 78" - 89" sofa. Two cats with claws live down there. The LazyBoy guy said the James Renewed Leather Reclining Sofa (only on sale thru Sat for $899) would wear well, the cats claws could not penetrate the leather and if they had an accident it would not penetrate thru to the foam. Also, the sofa was nice looking and comfortable. The down side is it may be a little big for the area and the price. I am not looking to spend a fortune for the basement. On the other hand, I have seen sofas as low as $299 to $400 and they do not seam as thought they would last very long.

So, what about this renewed / recycled leather...thougts?

Any other ideas for a less expensive sofa that might have some quality to it and hold up to our cats.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

They don't give a lot of information about it, other than marketing drivel. There is REBONDED leather that is chopped up scraps, then reconstituted with a binder. Think of this as the leather equivalent to particle board. At that point, it all depends on how they did it and what binder they used. Could be decent, could be crap, but it's not hide leather.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.la-z-boy.com/Collections/Renew-Recycled-Leather/

Bookmark   September 6, 2012 at 10:24PM
andrelaplume2

Its not clear what the renewed stuff is..no problem with leather...big problem is 20% leather and the rest vinyl mixed in....anyone know....

Bookmark   September 7, 2012 at 9:59AM
freethinker99

I think you are much better off purchasing a quality leather sofa. It will last and wear longer.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Kitchen Table Repair
Hi. My kitchen table has a crack in it and I was wondering...
marc83
Online slipcover companies
Need to re-slipcover our Arhaus Greta sectional, and...
kardut
Bernhardt vs. Thomasville for leather.
Thinking of getting a leather sofa for its durability....
Sparks72
Need Beadroom Furniture
Well, two months ago I changed my home furniture. But...
jazmin07
What happens to returned furniture
We recently received a living room furniture and one...
madness76
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™