Cash 22 situation

erpsDecember 3, 2008

What being in a "Cash-22" situation means?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
western_pa_luann

ummm... do you mean catch 22?

if so----
Definition:
absurd situation or its cause: a situation or predicament from which it is impossible to extricate yourself because of built-in illogical rules and regulations

Never heard of cash 22.

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 12:44PM
erps

Yes probably. I just googled cash-22 and I couldn't get the point. Thanks.

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 12:53PM
clg7067

It's also a good book/movie. At least it was a good movie when I originally saw it. ;)

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 2:40PM
chisue

When I read the OP's subject line I thought it was an imaginative way of stating the situation where you don't know where to put CASH! LOL There aren't a lot of good options right now. You can't even beat inflation with a CD or Treasury; the market is a continuing mess; and who wants to even mention real estate?

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 3:16PM
joyfulguy

Use cash to purchase:

CD/GIC/bond - peanuts for income: below rate of inflation. After-tax (apart from tax-free muni, available only in U.S.) result is *way!* below inflation! Who wants to subsidize the borrower??

Mutual funds - recent heavy drops in price levels, continuing. Manager dines on some of it, annually. Anyone interested in shrinking dollars??

Stocks - pretty well the same game (but there's no fund manager to eat part of the value). Anyone interested in shrinking dollars?

Real estate - the foreclosure rate being what it is ... are prices about to stop dropping any time soon? To say nothing of developing anything resembling an advance!

Gold - purchase, assay, shipping, storage costs ... maybe insurance (if available) ... apply.

Provides no ongoing income.

When you sell ... shipping, assay, brokerage costs apply.

You'd better hope that there's a major advance in price in the meantime!

Take your choice!

All of the above said ... I generally prefer to own stuff myself, rather than lending my money to another entity ...

... which often produces a better return on it for themselves than I get!

ole joyfoul

P.S. Buy pigs! Each mom produces from eight to about a dozen ... maybe more ... per year.

Howja like them apples? (Pigs like apples, too - in fact, they'll eat darn near anything ... they say that farmers in the midwest used to run pigs and cattle together ... and feed the cattle!). Maybe just a rumour!

o j

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 11:22PM
turnage

"rather than lending my money to another entity ...

... which often produces a better return on it for themselves than I get! "

I noticed in this mornings news that Bank of Montreal is lending Pilgrim's Pride Corp $365 million to help them through their Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing. At a good rate of return I'm sure.

Bookmark   December 4, 2008 at 8:31AM
chisue

Great idea, O.J. Pigs! A cow! Some chickens! Oh, foo, my suburb has already been through the 'pigs' debate with Mrs. Walgreen; no pigs allowed.

Bookmark   December 5, 2008 at 2:17PM
joyfulguy

Hi turnage,

That " ... good ..." word that you used seems to me to be one of those four-letter kind.

Like in, ""= ... s/he makes 'good' money at her/his job ..." kind of "good", right?

Sort of like, " ... high ... ", maybe?

One thing for sure - if BMO makes it ... they ain't very likely to share much of it with me, a depositor.

o j

Bookmark   December 7, 2008 at 2:52PM
turnage

Hi joyfulguy,

I'm sure Pilgrims is very grateful for BOM's help - the little chickens get to keep eating and lots of people keep working.

I guess when a company goes into Bankruptcy Court, they take the cash at whatever interest rate they can get. But shame on that stingy old bank for not sharing with you.

Bookmark   December 8, 2008 at 7:04AM
More Discussions
Family Banking Concept, anyone heard of it?
I did a search here and did not see any similiar thread....
rjinga
Accounting Question
I was hoping there'd be an accounting forum her on...
andrelaplume2
Investing for your Future
I'm wondering if most people today hire financial planners...
cmarlin20
Just because you pay your bills on time.....
doesn't guarantee you have good credit The "Paying...
myfask
I NEED to vent!
I am so UPSET Just received a notice from my credit...
KarenPA_6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™