Stone or wood for living room/kitchen

jockewingMay 13, 2011

I have an open concept living/dining/kitchen and I would like to replace the existing standard grade beige ceramic tiles with something much nicer. I would guess the total square feet of the area to be covered at about 600 sq feet.

I absolutely love the look and warmth of wood, but I am concerned about scratching. I have BR-111 engineered Tigerwood in my bedroom, and after only 5 years or so, it is scratched and nicked up horribly. I don't know if that type of wood is inherently soft or if I got a low grade. I don't want a repeat of what happened in that room. Especially since I live alone and am not really hard on the floors.

Is there a type of wood that is not going to get all these scratches and gouges with normal everyday living? Or should I go with some type of natural stone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don92

We have red oak throughout our house ( about 3000sf ) and several Golden Retrievers. The floor does take some abuse but we went with a satin finish and that makes all the difference. The glossier finishes will show every little scratch and if you are very particular about your floors that could be a problem

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 4:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stonetech

How about the "wood look" ceramic tile? The better one's really DO look just like plank.

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 11:51AM
More Discussions
Appalachian Flooring made in Canada
http://www.appalachianflooring.com/evershine I have...
cindywhitall
What is the size of your longest hardwood floor boards?
What ranges are the sizes of your hard wood floor boards...
tlbean2004
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
Black Walnut Grades
Hi all! Could someone tell me if these two pictures...
luciole
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™