Garage Door Opener Problems

macknzJuly 10, 2009

I have 2 Sears openers with no response to the remotes. (We just purchased the home and are unfamiliar with any history as to why this may be happening.) Bought new remotes from Sears. Both the new ones and one of the existing remotes fail to program to the motor units. Following the directions to program them, one is to hold down the remote's button, then the respective button on the opener unit until the indicator light flashes. Indicator light comes on, then off, but fails to flash or blink. (Same status for both openers.) My conclusion is to buy new logic boards and replace, however a failing logic board ...two in the same garage...seems low odds of ever occurring. Further, units are 10 years old and wondering if fixing or replacing is the best tactic. Would you concur with the plan to replace boards or suggest another test? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

Try programming this way. Forget all that flashing stuff. Press and hold the button on the remote. Press and immediately release the smart/learn button. If this doesn't program the opener then you have either the wrong remotes or bad logic boards. I wouldn't spend the money on 10 year old units to replace the logic board. It is too easy to DIY new openers. Just follow the instructions step by step in the owners manual and use all the new parts.

Bookmark   July 10, 2009 at 4:11PM
More Discussions
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
Good material to patch potholes in old garage floor?
I have some pot holes in my 1963 garage floor. The...
griz8312
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™