guidance on which garage door to choose

taliaferroJuly 13, 2007

Hello.

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice on which garage door to choose. I can't decide between a CHI 4216 (26-gauge exterior and 27-gauge interior steel skins injected with polyurethane insulation. R-value-14)

**************************OR*********************

WAYNE DALTON'S Model 9800 (fiberglass exterior [looks & feels like stained wood] & steel. R-value-7.3)- with a Liftmaster opener, not the problematic i-Drive.

From what I've read (on this forum) and heard (from competitor/dealers), Wayne Dalton has a poor reputation, but I wonder if that is primarily due to the faulty i-Drive opener than the quality of the actual doors.

Aesthetically, I love the look of the 9800, but I am worried that, later on down the line, I might regret choosing the prettier door (which also happens to be much pricier than CHI's premium door) over the high quality door.

In addition to the disputed quality of Wayne Dalton's product, I'm concerned about fading on the fiberglass door. I believe the manufacturer offers a one year warranty against fading. Not much.

The other issue is that this is a fairly new product which hasn't been sufficiently tested in the marketplace by actual consumers. I have made choices on first generation products in the past that have not turned out so well. I don't know if I want to be a guinea pig again.

Finally, the insulating properties are somewhat of a factor as I live on the east coast and I have a room above our garage. Will WD's door with a 7.3 R-value offer sufficient insulating properties.

Anyone think I should steer clear of Wayne Dalton's Model 9800?

Anyone have any feelings one way or the other about CHI?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayne Dalton Model 9800

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taliaferro

Does anyone have any advice for me? I could sure use it.

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 10:17AM
vancleaveterry

I was hoping someone would answer your question. I am going to need some doors in a few months myself.

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 11:50PM
taliaferro

I went ahead and purchased the CHI doors (Model 4216). Of course, the available color choices didn't work for me (why do so few garage door manufacturers offer premium steel garage doors in Gray?), but my dealer will send them out to be powdercoated (this service is not affiliated with CHI) in my color choice. This customization does void CHI's warranty on their finish, but I do get a 10 year warranty on the custom color. I'll try to post back after installation is complete.

Good luck vancleaveterry - you'll find that buying garage doors is as difficult as buying a mattress!

Bookmark   July 18, 2007 at 9:44AM
doorguy06

Sorry I jumped in here so late. The CHI was by far the better choice. I would make sure they put at least two struts on the door. One across the top section and one across the 2nd section if it is a 16 foot wide garage door if it is a single then one strut on the top is fine. I don't know why they don't offer garage doors in more colors, my guess would be that almond, sandstone or taupe, white and brown are the most popular colors of siding or perhaps the most nuetral colors. Garage doors can be painted though. To my knowledge no manufacture is going going to offer a warranty against fading, they do offer warranties that protect against the sections rusting, the paint chipping or peeling beyond normal control though. Good luck with your new door.

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 8:28AM
taliaferro

Thanks so much for the reassurance doorguy! I will telephone my dealer about the struts today.

About the color choices... you would think gray would be a popular choice since it really is a neutral. Ah well.

Take care!

Bookmark   July 19, 2007 at 1:52PM
More Discussions
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Good material to patch potholes in old garage floor?
I have some pot holes in my 1963 garage floor. The...
griz8312
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Sponsored Products
Wyndham Collection Bathroom Centra 42 in. Vanity in Gray Oak with Marble Vanity
Home Depot
Sarah Buffet - 4 Doors and 2 Drawers by Copeland Furniture
$2,811.00 | Lumens
Whitehaus Collection Aeri 21.75W x 21.75H in. Surface Mount Medicine Cabinet WHA
Hayneedle
46 Bottle Dual Zone Wine Cooler
$979.00 | FRONTGATE
Burgundy Aqua Shield Rosalie Mat
$29.99 | zulily
White 5-foot Wall Pergola
Overstock.com
Stein World Claridon Cupboard 2 Door 2 Drawer in Antique Blue
Beyond Stores
DreamLine AquaLux 46x72-inch Frameless Hinged Shower Door
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for: