Craftsman 1/2HP Garage Door Opener won't Open

2haskellsJuly 5, 2011

I have a Craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener. Its 12 yrs old and worked fine until yesterday. I opened it as usual but it wouldn't close automatically. I have the manual and have tried everything obvious. both reverse sensors are lit, when I hit either remote button the lights comes on but nothing happens, motor doesn't engage, or come on, etc. We have 2 garage doors with the same unit but i had to replace the other one about 2 yrs ago, maybe it's time to replace this one as well? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

If it is stuck in the open position you will most likely find the trolley is jammed against the bolt just in front of the motor unit. You will need to loosen the chain enough to release the tension and then run the opener until the door closes. While the door is closed locate the 'up limit' on the side of the motor unit and turn this control 2 full turns in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover. Tighten the chain.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 1:15PM
2haskells

Ok I tried that but there is no chain on this model (model no. 139.53491), just small plastic gears. The inner trolley is stuck in the open position though. Any other ideas? thanks again.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 3:32PM
don_1_2006

Sorry you have the screw drive opener. The fact the lights come on when you press your remote shows the receiver is working but the information is not getting to the motor. I would remove the logic board and check for burnt or missing traces on the printed circuit. The only other option would be to replace the logic board.

Bookmark   July 6, 2011 at 4:32PM
2haskells

Ah ha. I will look into that. Thank you sir.

Bookmark   July 8, 2011 at 6:58PM
More Discussions
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
New construction.. Trying to decide on what flooring for garage..
Ok.. So we are building a brand new house and one of...
Jason143NBPD
Shop vacuum
Are there any good 12 -15 amp shop vacs that have 1200-1500...
randalls1
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™