Who manufactures Macy's furniture?

christnrnSeptember 24, 2008

A friend of mine is in a hurry to purchase bedroom furniture and is considering two sets he found at Macy's. One is the Tea Trade Collection, and the other is the Corniche Collection. He says when he asked who makes the sets he was told only that they are both "exclusive to Macy's" and that Donald Trump helped design the Corniche Collection. The saleslady could give him no further information.

I was wondering if anyone here has any idea who the manufacturers might be, or any advice regarding purchasing furniture from Macy's. I've never dealt with them, and I'm worried my friend is making a poorly informed, hasty decision. Thanks for your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tea Trade Furniture Collection

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mccall

I am not sure who manufactures Macy's furntiture, but I suspect several companies do. They probably do have "exclusive to Macy's" lines. I can tell you that all of the furniture they sell if middle of the road, not the cheapest there is but not quality either, about what you would find in your "average" furniture store.
As for Donald Trump. He is dabbling in furniture design. I have three of his Office chairs, the Briarwood is the model, I like them quite a bit and got them all on clearance. I don't know that I would have liked them at full price.
If your friend goes with the Macy's items he will not be getting heirloom last a lifetime furniture, but he should be as well off as most furniture buyers out there.
If he is IN A HURRY he probably is not looking for long, long lasting furniture anyway.

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 1:27PM
gramma_jan_mn_zn_4

Macy's furniture is average? Shock to me. Who has good furniture then that doesn't cause bankruptcy?
gramma jan

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 5:15PM
parma42

I wouldn't even call most of it average.

We bought a kitchen/dining set from them. While it is heavy, that's about all you can say for it. The finish scratches when you dust. The black paint has a weird haze on it and you can see Chinese red bleed through on the pedestal. One little knick and a whole chunk of wood came out on the side.

People used to spend more of their budget on good furniture. Now, with all the 'service' spending (cable, internet, cell phone, etc), there's not as much money left to throw around.

It's going to get worse. Shipping is going to go through the roof so those great Chinese "bargains" are going to get pricey, also.

Believe it or not, I'm not trying to attack another nation or trying to wave the flag here, it's just that most of what's coming over, isn't too hot. That includes most of the middle/high end retailers, too.

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 7:01PM
stevethedesigner

Many furniture manufacturers/importers sell to Macy's. Typically, Macy's will ask the company to make certain changes to an existing line to make it more "exclusive" to them.

As you might expect, the quality and pricing varies from supplier to supplier.

Bookmark   November 7, 2008 at 5:13PM
oofasis

I was furniture shopping in Macy's a couple of weeks ago. The sales gal told me that most of Macy's case goods (non-upholstered furniture) comes from Asia, and most upholstered furniture is U.S. made.

HTH

Bookmark   November 9, 2008 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
trundle bed/daybed questions
My mom is giving me the trundle bet frame and mattresses...
cindywhitall
Lee Industries Sofa--worst ever furniture
I can use everyone's assistance in helping me solve...
sf_treat
Need Beadroom Furniture
Well, two months ago I changed my home furniture. But...
jazmin07
How to add under bed storage?
I love our bed, especially the headboard. Sadly our...
fuzzypawsnewpad
What happens to returned furniture
We recently received a living room furniture and one...
madness76
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™