Cooling a garage

mlutzJune 19, 2009

Hello,

I have built a four car garage that is 48 x 28 with a room upstairs that is framed in from attic trusses. I am looking into the possibility of trying to add some type of air conditioning. I would rather not add windonw units if I can keep from it. I am in the process of insulating the whole garage including the roof trusses. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions of a particular type of unit to cool the garage with. I know that I could use a heat pump. I already have a heater in the bottom of the garage. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mike_kaiser_gw

How about one of the "split" systems? The evaporator unit is self contained with the fans and the condensing unit sits outside much like a tradition condensor. The advantage is that you can put them just about anywhere you can run the refrigerant lines (~2" bundle) Any number of companies make them now. I've included a link but it's not a endorsement.

Of course, the cheapest option would be a thru-the-wall model.

Here is a link that might be useful: Friedrich Ductless Split Systems

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 10:23AM
sevenecho

A split system like mike_kaiser suggested would be my first option. Mitsubishi makes some great units, you can check them out at mrslim.com We have a bunch of Mitsu's at work and they are great systems.

Bookmark   June 28, 2009 at 7:31AM
claire_de_luna

Also consider adding some ceiling fans to your garage. We took an old one our of bedroom and used in over a work bench in the garage. It's among the best repurposing we've done, with something that was slightly out of style. Not only did we gain some air circulation, but we also gained three extra lights with the fan kit that came with it.

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 3:23PM
claire_de_luna

I'm having trouble with typos today!

Bookmark   June 29, 2009 at 4:30PM
yadax3

We looked at Mitsubishi's Mr. Slim for our workshop/garage but in the end we decided to install central HVAC, which was actually cheaper. We use propane for the heat. The total system for a 34' x 34' x 10' building with 4 rooms was about $4K. Of course, we didn't buy the most efficient AC unit because we only use it as needed.

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
New construction.. Trying to decide on what flooring for garage..
Ok.. So we are building a brand new house and one of...
Jason143NBPD
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Sun shines on sensor....
...and garage door will not stay down! Anyone have...
phoggie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™